I'm too tired to do a whole post so I'm cutting and pasting part of the email I sent to my grandma for my update.
Just got back from the appointment. I'm still not sure what to do. The doc said basically that it can sometimes spontaneously resolve itself up to a year. So he said we have two choices we can wait and see if it will do that or go ahead and have the surgery, but surgery is the only way to correct it if it doesn't resolve itself. If we decide to have the surgery then they would make a small incision right about where the thumb connects to the hand and snip a small tube that the ligament moves through then sew it back up with dissolvable stitches and cast and wrap the whole hand up (since he is so young they don't want him to be able to get to it). Then we'd just have to keep it dry for two weeks while it heals and then go back and have it all removed and see if he can extend the thumb all the way and that's it. No physical therapy or anything. I asked the doctor if there would be any negative effects if he didn't have the surgery and if it didn't resolve itself and he said that the only thing would be that he would be more likely to have arthritis in his joint because he's hyper extending it to compensate for the lack of movement.
1 year ago




1 comments:
I say get the surgery... Plastic bag over the cast for a while... I think it's worth it. Good luck! Love you guys!
Post a Comment