Thursday, October 15, 2009

Nightmare doctors appointment!

Have you just ever had one of those days? Well my day just seems to be stretching into one of those weeks! I think today was the absolute worst doctors appointment (behavior wise) that my kids have ever had. Okay I should say NATHAN has ever had since the other two weren't really the problem. As I sat in the waiting room and watched the two boys playing I made the mistake of thinking, "Oh great they're playing quietly this shouldn't be too bad we'll be in and out" after all we were only there for well checks no big deal right? Boy was I wrong!

To start out (should have been my first clue) when the medical assistant called us back Nathan started giving me a hard time about leaving the toys, but it actually wasn't that bad. He got over it pretty quick. Then as the assistant picked him up to take him to the scale I started sniffing and smelled a horrible smell. "Oh great," I thought, "that is definitely Nathan." So the assistant just told me, "It's okay we'll just weigh him first real quick." Real quick wasn't real quick thanks again to you, guessed it, Nathan. He started squirming and and squealing as we tried to put him on the scale. So we juggled kids. The assistant took the baby and I tried in vain to get Nathan to stand on the scale. Then as I picked him up to talk to him......squish! I had poop all over my arm, all up his back and everywhere! So embarrassing!

So that was the end of trying to get him on the scale. We were now in decon mode. We went right to the room where they put the pads on the table so I could change him without getting poop all over. Hah! That was a nice thought. Somehow poop ended up on the baby, in his hair, all over his torso, and of course up my arm and in my watch (why I decided to wear it today I don't know). They had to bring in a bio hazard bag to collect everything in and then gave me another to put his clothes in, but after wiping, wiping, wiping, wiping, and a sponge bath in the sink with some soap, we managed to get things back under control.

Then it was back to the scale again to try and get his weight, and you guessed it, he still was being a little pain and wouldn't get on the scale so we put him on the baby scale. I was hoping that would be the end of it, but no luck. We went back to the room again to finish with the rest of the measurements and he squirmed and kicked and screamed the whole time! Then the doctor came in to do her exam and same thing, squirming and kicking and screaming. I was just so embarrassed that one of my kids would behave so badly. Then after the doctor answered all my concerns about the kids, she left, and we waited for shots. And we waited and we waited and since Nathan had been such a bear and behaved so poorly I made him take a time out hoping that his behavior would change. I feel sorry for everyone else who had to listen since he screamed the whole time, but you know you've got to do what you've got to do and hopefully since it's a pediatrician office I think most of the people that had to listen understood. Finally the assistant came back in and guess what? Suddenly Isaac has to go to potty. "Mommy it's coming!" So I tell the assistant, "Sorry potty break the immunization records are on the table if you would like to fill them out." And we head to the bathroom.

Well Isaac knows at the doctors office there is a little potty that the kids usually use, but this time of course the little potty was out of order and the big potty was "too scary", so we sat for about 10 minutes with me trying to convince him the little potty was broken and that he didn't need to sit on the big potty just stand up and hit the drain! Finally he must have had to go so badly he couldn't hold it anymore because he changed his mind and went over and stood up and "hit the drain" as he calls it. So after washing hands we made it back to the room again and boy was I ready to get out of there.

Is it bad that I told the assistant to do Nathan's shots first? Is it bad that I didn't feel bad at all when he got them? If it is then I'm a bad person I guess, because I didn't feel bad at all! Then after Cassandra's shots with whining from Nathan the whole time we were out of there! And now I'm waiting for him to finish eating his lunch so I can put him down for a nap, because I know he needs one, but I think I may need one even more!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Oh Shannon - I'm so sorry to hear about your horrible doctor visit! All mom's definitely have those days... the worst! At least the rest of the day can only get better, right?

Derek and Sharice said...

Ya that's a bad one....... Poor shanny......... I know the doctor's office probably just felt bad for you.... Hope you get a nice nap today!

Jon, Janice, Kaylee, & Regan said...

Hope your day gets better!